3D printing is one of the most exciting and astonishing technologies in recent years. This advanced technology is capable of creating a solid product or product part within just a few hours. The printing involves using an additive approach with layer upon layer of material added to create an object that can be practically any shape.
Versatility and rapid results
This field is growing fast. Every day there is a new use for 3D printing and even dentists are using the technology to create implant teeth for their clients. You may recall recently that there was concern expressed nationally in media outlets about how easy it is to create guns and other weapons. This is understandably a concern, but with that at the backend of that coverage there is some awareness and insight into how rapid and versatile 3D printing really is.
3D printing is also known as additive manufacturing and is a type of rapid prototyping that provides pretty much a domestic entry point into industrial robot technology. This modern method of manufacturing is providing us with a whole new exciting era of production and brings it to the masses as more people discover and make use of this amazing process.
How does it work?
Using a 3D design as a guide or template of what’s required the 3D printer will accurately lay down layers of material to product an object. These layers may comprise of plastic, metal, ceramic powder, glass and more.
Typical uses of 3D Printing:
Many popular uses of 3D printing include:
- Architecture visualisation
- Parts for electronic products – circuit boards
- Automotive parts
Benefits of 3D printing:
There are a number of benefits of 3D printing that includes the following:
- Ability to innovate structures and shapes – even highly complicated ones
- WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) technology
- The ability to combine a variety of materials that wasn’t traditionally possible before
- Significant reduction in waste results in cost saving and less environmental impact
- Savings through less workforce and less manufacturing costs
- Rapid manufacturing time – within just a few hours
3D is something that will continue to rapidly expand. Contact us to rent a 3d printer.